Topic: Community-Focused Initiatives
Date Posted: 10/22/2016
TEGNA stations across the country participated in the company’s 25th annual Make a Difference Day, one of the largest annual single-days of service nationwide, held October 22. Here are a few examples:
• ABC affiliate KVUE-TV Austin helped flood-proof the Katherine Anne Porter School, which educates underserved kids from seven counties. The school flooded four times in two years.
• ABC affiliate WFAA-TV Dallas: staff worked with CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates), with the aim of providing a volunteer to each abused and neglected child in foster care.
• ABC affiliate WZZM-TV Grand Rapids: volunteers packed healthy snacks in kid-friendly decorated bags for Kids’ Food Basket. The nonprofit organization feeds 7,500 children.
• NBC affiliate WKYC-TV Cleveland: organized volunteers who helped spruce up a farm that works with children with learning needs.
• CBS affiliate KHOU-TV Houston: dozens of employees and their families gathered at The Sheltering Arms Adult Day Center for adults who have Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia. Volunteers striped the parking lot, painted interiors, made holiday cards, prepared emergency kits, refinished specialty made chairs and did gardening.
• NBC affiliate KUSA-TV Denver: volunteers boxed food for more than 100 food banks in Colorado.
• ABC affiliate KBMT Beaumont, Tx.: helped raise money to build a new adoption center to replace one that was destroyed in a fire.
• CBS affiliate WUSA Washington, D.C. filled its studios with volunteers to assemble bikes and toys for a local Boy’s and Girl’s Club.
• ABC affiliate KXTV Sacramento: volunteers participated in the Run for a Safe Haven 5K to raise funds for funds for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking.
• NBC affiliate KGW-TV Portland, Ore.: collected new unwrapped toys that more than 130 nonprofits in Oregon and Southwest Washington will distribute during the holiday season.
More stories on Community-Focused Initiatives